Home Churches

The present Church of St Patrick was built in 1762 by the Rev James McTeggart to replace the old ‘Mass House’.
The church ran parallel with the road, the altar being at the north gable and the main door being at the south gable.

StPats10

StPats9

A date stone commerating the builders can be seen near on the gable near the north porch entrance.
In 1831 the Rev James McAleenan re-roofed and carried out extensive repairs to the church. A stone plaque commerates this occasion.

He removed the old holy water font from the ancient church of St Cumain, in the townland of Derry, to St Patrick’s Church, where it is still in use in the north porch.

The Rev James Killen enlarged the church in 1845 by building the western wing   (now the central portion of the church) and removing the High Altar from the northern gable to the eastern side wall where it now stands. He also erected two new galleries.

During his three years as Parish Priest the the Rev G Crolly built the present sacristy and the bell tower, which was completed in December 1914.

On the 12th February 1939, when the Rev Patrick McKillop was Parish Priest, a new bell, weighing 161/2 cwt was solemnly blessed by the Most Rev Dr Mageean and installed in the tower of the church.

Further extensive renovations were carried out while Rev G Laverty was PP and a plaque commerating the Blessing and Re-dedication of the church on 27th May 1990 can be seen in the new entrance porch.

StPats8

 

StPats7

 

StPats6

 

StPats5

 

StPats4

StPats3

Rt. Rev. Dean Brendan McGee

Father Brendan was ordained on 18th June 1950, was appointed Parish Priest of Portaferry from 1992 – 2000, and was assisting in St. Patrick’s Parish, Donegall St., Belfas unil 2020.

StPats2


Very Rev. Fr. Martin Kelly
 
Father Martin was born in the Parish of Bailieboro, Co Caven in 1941. He was ordained in St. Peter’s Cathedral Parish 1966, and afterwards appointed Chaplin to St Patrick’s Training Schools, Musgrave Park, and Foster Green Hospitals. In 1968 he became Spiritual Director of St. Malachy’s College, Belfast, and in addition Diocesan Vocation Director from 1976-1985. Following his role in the education of Seminarians for the Priesthood, he was appointed as curate of Holy Trinity Parish (1985-88). Afterwards, he was sent to St. Patrick’s Parish, primarily as a curate and then in 1988 as Administrator of that same Parish. From 1994 until 2000, Father Martin was Parish Priest of  St. Agnes’, Belfast, before being appointed by Bishop Walsh as Parish Priest of Ballyphilip, Portaferry from August 2000 until 8th October, Fr Martin was appointed parish priest of Drimbo and Carryduff, by Bishop Noel Traynor, on 8thOct. 2009.

StPats1


Very Rev. Patrick Mulholland 
 
Fr. Patrick, a native of the Parish of Aghagallon and Ballinderry was educated at St. Mary's Primary School Derrymore and Rathmore Grammar Finaghy. He studied for his B.Sc. at Queen's University Belfast and then entered St.Patrick's College Maynooth to study for the Priesthood. Fr. Patrick was ordained by Bishop Patrick Walsh in St. Patrick's Aghagallon in July 1992. He served as curate in the parishes of  Upper Mourne (Kilkeel) Aug. 1992-1996, St. Mary's on the Hill, Glengormley, Aug.1996-2002, St. Paul's Belfast Aug.2002-March2007, Fr. Patrick was appointed Parish Priest of Ballygalget by Bishop Walsh in March 2007 and in Oct 2009 appointed Parish Priest of Portaferry and Ballygalget by Bishop Noel Treanor. Fr. Patrick was appointed Parish Priest of Loughguile in August 2019.

 

 

CURATES OF PORTAFERRY

SURNAME

INITAL

DATE APPOINTD CURATE

TO

Crowe

Rev. John

1868

1872

O’Donoghue

Rev. John

1872

1874

McCartan

Rev Bernard

1874

1877

McAleese

Rev. James J

1877

1881

McKenna

Rev. John

1881

1885

McCourt

Rev. William

1885

1890

Kelly

Rev. William

1891

1895

Magennis

Rev. Dan

1895

1897

Lennon

Rev. James

1898

1902

Malone

Rev. Charles

1902

1904

McAleese

Rev. John

1904

1909

Magowan

Rev. John

1909

1911

Rhodes

Rev. Daniel

1911

1916

Fullerton

Rev. Robert

1916

1916

Bready

Rev. Andrew

1917

1922

Toal

Rev. Terence

1922

1925

Smith

Rev James

1925

1931

Lynn

Rev W.

1931

1939

O’Hare

Rev. Charles

1939

1941

Lafferty

Rev Daniel

1941

1945

Murphy

Rev. Padraig

1945

1950

McCrea

Rev. Patrick

1950

1957

Stewart

Rev Frank

1957

1960

O’Hanlon

Rev. George

1960

1966

McGurnaghan

Rev Joseph

1966

1969

Kerr

Rev. Samuel

1969

1972

McCollam

Rev. Patrick

1972

1977

Murray

Rev. Dominic

1977

1979

O’Hara

Rev John CSSP

1979

1980

Toner

Rev, Michael SMA

1981

1981

Henry

Rev. Maurice

1981

1986

Neeson

Rev. Patrick

1986

1989

McGrady

Rev. Feargel

1989

1992

O’Kane

Rev. Brian SMA

1993

1993

McGrattan PE CC

Rev. Andrew

1993

2000

 

PRIEST IN RESIDENCE IN ST. COOEY'S PAROCHIAL HOUSE CHURCH STREET

Fr. Jim Sheppard 2013-----2019